DICKS PEAK (9,974') AND JACKS PEAK (9,856') 2X August 25, 1984

One of a few leads that I had scheduled for the Peak and Gorge Section, I secured quite the number of peak climbers. We carpooled to the Glen Alpine trailhead for Desolation Wilderness. This is reached on paved road, now, at the far (south) end of Fallen Leaf Lake. Some nine hikers started up with me, to hike first to Dicks Pass (9,400'). We found the wilderness trails, and took our time to get there. It was a bit windy, but we headed along the ridge from the Pass, following the semblance of a use trail. Then, we took on the easy, short, high class 2, east ridge of Dicks Peak. I stayed back to help some uncertain hikers.

We all made it to the summit, circling and lunching in the rock ring at the top. I placed a register, which wasn't to last long. We had been joined by a hiker that had chosen to start from the Horsetail Falls trailhead, and had headed cross-country, and by trails, to link with us. The view north was nice.

Our traverse south to the second peak, Jacks, was undertaken by the others, ahead of me. The southward traverse to Jacks Peak covered much rocky and rough ground. It took the group about an hour, for everyone to complete this. The views gave us a slightly different perspective.

I left another register, and we descended southeast along a ridge for a few hundred feet. I then took a big snowfield down, northeast to Alta Morris Lake. I had a good time glissading. We then climbed downward over class 2 rocky slopes, around cliffs, and passed two small waterfalls. Then, we were all down to Half Moon Lake. A trail goes to the left (northeast) of this lake, then we reconnected with the main trail that leads back to Glen Alpine Trailhead.

Our return time was at about 7 p.m., and coincided with a light rain. Some people may have been quite tired. Because one driver (rocket scientist) wasn't bright enough to have gotten sufficient gas, we had to delay our drive out.

An agreed-upon stop at a nice Tahoe restaurant had to be aborted by my carload when one rider went ballistic about getting food, not too lightly saying, "Now and now, or I'm gonna KILL." The others said later that we didn't show up.

It doesn't take much for a pleasant climbing day to be spoiled by the behavior of one lone nut. This fantastically successful, double day climb had never been done by the local chapter, with some even saying that it was not possible. I tried to enjoy my fast food burger, but the psychotic hiker's threats of violence had me shaking. I sped home with the carload, and gratefully finished the day without physical harm.

Our stats today were, roughly, some 16 miles and about 4,000' gain.